Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential: Adventures in the Culinary Underbelly

Kitchen Confidential

When people ask me what started my journey into food, I tell them it was tailgating at Oakland Raiders Home games and Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential book. I've loved cooking my whole life but never thought it was a way to pay the bills. 

As an young adult my uncle took me to almost every Oakland Raider Home Game in the early 2000's with his group of BBQ Masters. Every game these guys would turn simple meats into tasty bites that everyone tailgating loved. They would show me a few tricks here and there that sparked my passion for creating good food on the grill. Plus being able to see Metallica Play in the the parking during the Raiders Jets AFC Championship game also didn't hurt.

After five years of cooking at every Raiders Home Game in Oakland with my uncles friends teaching me the down and dirty Tailgating BBQ life and then going to Culinary School turned my BBQ Pasion into a Culinary Journey. At the start of this journey a good friend of mine gave me his beat-up copy of Kitchen Confidential he had read for years. He had worked all over California learning his trade. Reading this book was like Googling how to work hard and play harder in the kitchen. It was a how to do and how not to do. It was a work of Culinary Art to me. 

Kitchen Confidential is a book that everyone who has a passion to cook should read or now thankfully to Amazon Audio if you don't have the time you can hear this book from Anthony's own voice. Anthony's death was one of the only deaths of a person I had no personal contact with that I felt so much. During a book tour got to hear him speak in Sacramento but never go the chance to fire up the grill and do some real time with him. In my BBQ journey's I've worked with people who have and they have all told me their experiences, but I never got to enjoy it myself. 

If you love food or love a good look into a world you know nothing about Anthony Bourdain's Kitchen Confidential is a good read or hear it from Anthony's own voice on Amazon Audio.

Thank you for reading my thoughts today. 


Get the Book     Get the Audio Book 



 

Comments